Although the very first Anzac Biscuits were made without coconut, they were required to stay fresh for months as they were shipped around the world to soldiers serving a long way from home.
Over the years the recipe was modified to incorporate coconut for a better taste.
This recipe makes more than a dozen Anzac Biscuits. Here’s a 2 minute video showing how it’s done.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Pre-heat oven at 160°.
- Melt butter.
- Add syrup to dissolved bicarbonate soda and water. Combine with melted butter.
- Mix dry ingredients and stir in liquid. (If mix is crumbly, add small amount of water.)
- Place small balls, on baking-paper-lined tray and flatten.
- Bake in moderate oven for approximately 10 minutes for soft biscuits, 15 minutes for crispier biscuits.
- Lift out carefully with a knife as they are soft till cold.